Friday 12 September 2008

More spicy adventures

We ended up booking flight tickets from Varanasi to Delhi yesterday. It was kind of cool. I’ve always wanted to buy a last minute ticket and hurry to the airport. It’s so spontaneous, and wild, like being in a film. "When's the next ticket to Delhi!?" And then: "Taxi! To the airport! Hurry!". Almost like: "Follow that car!" kind of cool. But not quite.

It’s ironic though, because I remember when we flew back from Darjeeling and were waiting for the bags, and not far from us stood people waiting for their bags, from Varanasi. And I remember thinking: ”Pffh! Why would anyone fly from Varanasi, when there are convenient night trains going between Delhi and Varanasi??”. Now I know.

Last night was very adventurous. Because of our spontaneous little change of plans, when we got to the hotel we usually stay at here in Delhi, they didn’t have any rooms available. I couldn’t believe it! A noisy hotel (fair enough, that just means it’s in a very good location, and it’s cheap too). I had never imagined a hotel being fully booked during off-peak season, but there you go.

Anyway. Stranded in Delhi, in the middle of the night, without anywhere to stay. I must say I wasn't too happy. Lots of things happened that I can't even be bothered to write about right now, but we finally got a place to stay, a very expensive room, totally not worth what they were asking for, but hey, we had a place to stay. We then went to a nearby 24h open fast food chain to have a way too late dinner consisting of sinful burgers and coke, because we just couldn't be assed after all the .. ehm.. excitement, if you will. Well I can tell you this much: after what we've been through, I don't think there's much I can't handle now.

This morning we checked out to go all the way from Connaught Place, beyond Paharganj and beyond the railway station with our big backpacks on our packs and the little ones on the front, like sumo wrestlers dressed in black. Running, on the busy streets of Delhi, with all that packing, in the heat, made me think that this is what it must feel like to be fat. I mean, really fat. Remind me to start working out when I get back, because I don't ever want to feel like that when running if I don't have any bags or backpacks.

Oh by the way, I've caught a cold. Fancy that. In the 35 degrees hot India. Hah.

Anyway, I'm just glad to have left Varanasi.
Tomorrow we're going to Amritsar. I'm looking forward to that actually. Even thought it means getting up way too early. Sleep is overrated anyway.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh!!Take care!!!
Did you cure?